Thursday, April 22, 2010

Our Little Scare

I have had a crazy week. I’ve spent around 15 hours at the DMV/other government offices trying to get my car registered and a drivers license. Car finally got registered. They attempted to charge us $900 sales tax, but I talked them out of that. When we traded in our car, Honda paid us to take the new car because the new car was worth less than the old car. For some crazy reason the DMV thought that I should pay sales tax on the entire thing upfront, but after talking to management and the board of equalization, we figured out that I didn’t owe any tax. Fewph! I still don’t have a drivers license. Turns out that California doesn’t recognize my husband and I as married. When we got married, the temple sent the marriage license to the recorder’s office, but apparently there was an error with it so the recorder’s office sent it back to them, and then never received it back. So yesterday, my husband and I had to find two witnesses that were at our temple sealing (thankfully our inlaws are somewhat close), and go and take an oath and fill our paperwork that we were in deed married, so that they could make another marriage license for us. As long as nothing went wrong, I should have my marriage license in 7-10 days and then I can go take my drivers license test. My husband thinks that I am going to fail the drivers test because every little thing that could go wrong at the DMV, pretty much has. As soon as I was done “getting married again”, I rushed home and decorated my house and made food for a baby shower that I was throwing for a friend. The baby shower was really cute, and I think that she really enjoyed it. As I was watching her open presents I felt a sudden gush of fluid leak. I ran to the bathroom and found a large amount of blood. Not to be too gruesome, but all together it was probably around 1/2 to 3/4 cups of blood. I went to the other room and told my husband and he called the doctor, and they told me to go to the Emergency Room. One my friends from the baby shower offered to babysit, and my other friends finished up the shower for me and cleaned up all the mess by themselves. Bless their hearts! I was pretty scared, and pretty upset. We went to the emergency room and the doctor did any ultrasound and we saw the baby moving and it’s heart beating. Here is a copy of our first ultrasound. What a relief. I didn’t realize that you could bleed that much without having an immediate miscarriage. However, since I did bleed so much I have what they call a “threatened spontaneous abortion” or a threatened miscarriage. Women who have this have about a 50/50 chance of having a miscarriage or carrying the baby full term. They used to put women on full bed rest for this for a few weeks, but thankfully new research shows that full bed rest isn’t really helpful. All I have to do is be on pelvic rest. For the next couple weeks I just need to rest as much as possible, avoid stress, no exercise, etc. I can still do basic household things. I’m sure by the time I hit 12 weeks, I can go back to my everyday stressful routine :) I go back to the doctor this afternoon to get some more tests and check and see if the baby is still doing well.
So we need your prayers for this little baby. When I saw it on the ultrasound I can’t describe the joy I felt. I already thought I had lost this baby, and when I saw the little thing moving and its heart beating I felt such relief and such love. I know that whatever happens it will be o.k., but I think that God is going to allow me to carry this baby and have a healthy pregnancy. That is my gut feeling and my belief. Please pray for us, I know that prayers work and I know that God loves this little baby already even more than I do, which is a lot!

6 comments:

  1. You've got my prayers, Jess! That is soo so sooo scary. I am so relieved everything was okay. I hope everything continues to go well too. Oh, Jess - take it easy!! You have never been one to do that, so I know it might be hard for you. ;) I love you, Jess!!! You and that little gummy bear are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,
    I'm so glad to hear that everything is okay! You sure gave us a scare last night too. Please Please let me know if there is anything I can do or if I can just take Jif for a couple hours during the day to play with Ava and give you some rest. Know that we are praying for you and your in our thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessi so scary! Could you have a crazier week? If it makes you feel any better I've known a few people who have had the same thing happen and all of them ended up with healthy babies. I wish I could drive up and take care of you and Cade! But really, come down here any time and we'll take care of you. Let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um... after that completely ridiculous day getting you married... and the two days before that that you had cutting through California red tape, you were exhausted! You do need to take it easier. Take Kelli up on her offer to let Jif go play a little. And I can come up and help when you need me. I bled with just one of my pregnancies. It happened about three times, and each time I just about had a heart attack. Then I had a totally normal pregnancy. I am trying to remember what they said... a pocket of blood can pool and then as things shift, it is shed... that is the technical explanation:) but healthy baby at the end. Scary, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! You're in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How scary! I'm glad to hear the baby is fine though! The same thing happened to my sister and her baby was born normally and is now a healthy 4 year old. I pray everything goes just as well for you.

    ReplyDelete