
I am an over-protective mom and once in a while can be a little bit of a hypochondriac. Don’t judge me, I was always a little bit this way and being a nurse and seeing worst-case-scenerios has made it even worse. So I am asking for some advice and perspective.
2 weeks ago I bought a toy from Ross. It’s Jif’s favorite toy. It’s a 10-in-1 wooden activity center with cute little wooden blocks. He loves to suck on these blocks and rub them on our walls. One of our walls is now blue, which shows you how much he loves them. Well today I was wondering to myself, “I wonder if it is a good thing for him to always be sucking on those painted wooden blocks?” So I did something that I normally try not to do (because it makes the whole hypochondriac thing worse) and I searched on the internet for the toy. I just wanted to read something that told me that the toy was made of non-toxic paint. When I searched on the internet I found that this toy had been recalled because of excessive levels of lead in the paint. It was recalled in 2007, but since it’s Ross, I guess that they didn’t get the memo and they sold it 2 weeks ago. I went to Ross to look for the box with the confirming UPC code that I needed, but they sold out of the toy. I asked the manager about it and he said it was possible because sometimes they get toys that they don’t know about old recalls.
So now I am making myself crazy looking up symptoms of lead poisoning and horror stories. Does anyone have some perspective for me or do you agree that I should be horrified that I bought a toy 2 weeks ago that was banned 2 years ago? Half of me wants to run to the doctor and get his blood tested for lead poisoning and half of me wants to stay home (especially because I hate our doctor).
Oh, the joys of being a first time mom. Why didn’t anyone warn me that I would worry so much?
Okay, it's pretty obnoxious, first of all, that Ross doesn't check recall lists. But that said, lead poisoning of the kind you are talking about takes place over a long period of time. Two weeks isn't going to get the job done, so to speak. The other thing is that paint that is in "good repair" rather than peeling and chipping, is much less likely to transfer the lead. Go ahead and ask for a blood test at his one-year checkup, but he is fine. Don't worry about it.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, that’s the last time I’m buying a toy from Ross
ReplyDeleteOkay shouldn't there be a law about ANY company selling recalled toys? That's rediculous. Having said that I wanted to say:
ReplyDelete1) I am just as much a hypochondriac as you. It's good to know that maybe it's a family trait. :) It's also good to know there's other people out there like me.
2) Being a hypochonriac one of the best lessons I've learned is that ultimately it's Heavenly Father who is in control of my little one's life. All I can do is do the best I can with what I know and leave the rest to Him. Heavenly Father knows you are an AWESOME mom and also knows that Jif has plenty more to do in this life. I agree with your mother in law...a couple of weeks isn't going to do much. I don't know if your dr will do it or not but my doctor gave my little lady a test for lead in her blood just as standard procedure at her one year so maybe yours will too.
Good to know about Ross though. Ugh.
I would contact a consumer protection agency to see if this toy is part of the recall or if it is cured. Next document your conversation with the manager and write a letter to the store's HQ expressing your concerns. If the toy is part of a recall, I think you should seek additional steps.
ReplyDelete